Sunday, April 12, 2009

Under the Covers #2


Some covers for Easter! Enjoy.

Live Your Life (T.I. feat. Rihanna cover)- Just Jack: The British singer-songwriter (who reminds me of Jack Penate to no end) did a pretty good job covering T.I./Rihanna's summer hit. He brings the tempo down but does his best to rap. The results are surprisingly not-awful. Probably just because his accent is cute. Whatevskis.
Live Your Life (T.I./Rihanna cover)- Just Jack

Every Breath You Take (Police cover)- Frankmusik: I posted about new electronic/dance artist Frankmusik one or two weeks ago and since then I've discovered this cover of the Police classic. I'm not sure I like it enough but it's a pretty original take with a strong 80's vibe.
Every Breath You Take (Police cover)- Frankmusik [MediaFire link]

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (Elvis Costello cover)- Chris Cornell: While Chris Cornell's latest album, "Scream," is a laughable collaboration with Timbaland, it's important to remember that Cornell actually was an actual artist with actual talent. I love this cover of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding," which is arguably my favorite Elvis Costello song (and that is a close race, let me tell you).
Peace, Love, and Understanding (Elvis Costello cover)- Chris Cornell

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (Smiths cover)- Death Cab for Cutie: Covering the Smiths is a risky business indeed. Morrissey's voice is so integral to the band's sound that hearing another voice sing his music oftentimes sounds so wrong I just need to shut it off. That being said, I actually really enjoy this cover of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by Death Cab for Cutie. It's interesting because as I would say that Morrissey's voice is necessary for the Smiths, Ben Gibbard's voice is equally essential to Death Cab's sound.
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (The Smiths cover)- Death Cab for Cutie

Speaking of covers, I'll be posting a review of the new Tera Melos cover EP, "Idioms Vol. I" so stay tuned!

No comments: