Friday, March 27, 2009

R.I.P. Blender Magazine


Serving as another sign that paper/print media will be obsolete in mere hours, the Maxim-run music magazine Blender is dead. I never subscribed to Blender, but I bought copies every now and then. It always had funny lists, cool features, and, in my opinion, covered the largest range of music of any magazine around. I think Blender was probably the only rag to be well-versed in the discography of the Black Eyed Peas, Sufjan Stevens, and No Age (for example, the issue pictured above offers pieces on Leona Lewis, Neil Diamond, AND Sub Pop). Joe Levy, Blender's Editor-in-Chief (and former Rolling Stone managing editor), will take over at Maxim.

I think Amy Phillips summed it up best in this snatch from Pitchfork:
No more Blender magazine means some kid isn't going to pick up a copy at the 7-11 because he thinks Katy Perry looks hot on the cover, end up reading about Mastodon, and have his mind blown. And that sucks.

No comments: