Friday, March 13, 2009

Audiowood


I'm writing a story for my school paper about how vinyl has enjoyed a bit of a resurgence in the last few years. My interviews for the story have led me to talk to music critics, record store owners, audiophiles, producers, and engineers alike. After chatting with these folks I've made the decision to invest in a record player and start buying vinyl. At the recommendation of one of my interviewees, Patrick McNamara of Insound, I'm going to get the ION iPTUSB Turntable (picture above), which has a USB port for archiving vinyl on my computer. I'm super excited to buy it and I'm getting some new records so that I can start my collection off right.

While writing this story, I spent an obscene amount of time looking for interesting record players online. Probably the coolest players I found are by Audiowood. These turntables are constructed out of sturdy, aesthetically gorgeous chunks of tree. The table in the image above was built from redwood, and there are also tables created from reclaimed maple and slabs of walnut tree. I think my favorite one is called "Barky" (pictured below).


Learn more about Audiowood HERE.

No comments: